1. Security services are some of the most important elements of asuccessful business operation. Security personnel are hired to helpkeep people and the premises safe and maintain peace and order.They are also often hired to serve as personal escorts and safetyofficers. Before hiring someone with whom you will entrust the safetyand security of your property or those of your loved ones, lookcarefully at their qualifications. Here are the top 10 qualities of anexcellent security guard:
2. TrainingThe best security guards are those who have undergone the necessarytraining that will help them obtain important skills and knowledge thatwill be critical to how well they can perform their job. They should alsohold the required certification and license necessary for them to dotheir job.ExperienceAn experienced security guard has the background and knowledge thathe or she can apply on the job. This means that he or she can hit theground running, so to speak. Trained and experienced security guardsknow what to do and why.
3. HonestyOne of the best and most important qualities of an excellent securityguard is honesty. Someone who is reliable can be trusted, whichmeans that letting them take charge eliminates any worries regardingsecurity breaches, inside jobs or confidential information.
4. CommonsenseAlthough security guards must follow certain rules and policies, theyshould have enough common sense to know exactly how and when towork around an issue, especially if it presents a potential risk to theirclient.
5. Ability to lead and to followAnother important quality of an excellent security guard is his or herleadership ability. Many times, the security personnel are expected towork with a team, which means they have to know when to takecharge. Where the safety of the client is at risk, the security personnelmust know how and when to impose the necessary practices for thecommon good.A security guard must also know how to abide by the rules,particularly those set up by their client. There are instances, however,when these rules need to be modified in order to ensure that the clientis kept safe or that legal requirements are met.
6. Communication skillsAn excellent security guard must be able to communicate well, not justwith the client but with other people the client works or is involvedwith on a day-to-day basis.
7. Physical fitnessThe best security guards are those that are healthy, nimble andphysically reliable, able to defend himself/herself and the client if andwhen necessary.Value for human lifeAn excellent security guard puts value on human life above all. In thistype of job, strong concern for others is critical, allowing the guard towork at his or her best.
8. Ability to think on his /her feetAn excellent security guard must be quick thinking and able to comeup with good solution within a short time frame. This quality isespecially important during emergency situations.